I pulled this shrimp and wild rice casserole recipe from the food network website and modified it slightly, mostly to speed up the cooking process and to make it more cheesy. It was awesome to begin with, but it is always fun to play with your food. For example I think that jalapeno will be really good in this casserole, so I will be experimenting with that the next time I make it. Either way this is a really good and fast dish to make. The most extensive part is peeling the shrimp, but that is the price you pay when cooking with shrimp.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (if you peel the shrimp ahead of time)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 – (8 ounce) package of wild rice
1 – pound of medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 – tablespoons of butter
1- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1- 1/2 onion chopped
1- (10 3/4 ounce) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 – cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 – cups of cheese of your preference (this recipe I used colby jack which is a good blend)
– salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Shrimp And Wild Rice Casserole Preparation:
1. Here is all the ingredients that I used for this walk through.
Instead of cooking rice I’ve been using Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Ready Rice which tastes really good and only takes 90 seconds to cook.
2. The first step is to clean, peel, and de-vein the shrimp which is the longest part.
3. Fill a medium pot with 2 cups of water and a 1/2 tablespoon of salt and wait for it to boil.
4. Once the water is boiling add the shrimp and boil for 1 minute. Be careful here, because the shrimp will continue to cook after you take them out of the water, so don’t boil for more than 1 minute, because you are going to bake this dish and you don’t want the shrimp over cooked.
5. Once the shrimp is a light pink color you are good to drain the water out, put them into a container and set to the side.
6. Dice up your half bell pepper and onion.
7. When your veggies are diced heat up 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan.
8. When the butter has melted toss in your pepper and union. Add pepper and salt as desired.
9. Saute the veggies for about 5 minutes or until they are soft.
10. Go a head and preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
11. Next combine everything and mix in a large bowl.
12. I prefer to mix the rice, sharp cheddar, and mushroom soup first. The mixture will get thick, then add the veggies, the butter will loosen the mixture up. Then add the shrimp, then salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. You need to mix this all up good and this order makes that easy because this mixture does get really thick.
13. When you are done mixing spray your dish with vegetable spray and toss your mixture inside, flattening and evening it out until it fills the bottom of your dish.
14. Add the rest of the cheese to the top and toss it in the oven for 30 minutes or until your cheese is bubbly.
15. After baking your are done. Whip up a salad to go with it and enjoy.